Sunday, January 24, 2010

Red-headed step children.

Someone recommended the most wonderful website to me: kidmagwriters.com
It's a wonderful resource to find children's magazines that accept freelance submissions. It's got quite a funny "About us" page, referring to children's magazine writers as the "red-headed step children of the children's writing world." I imagine this is because people think of children's magazines as something to build up their writing resumes in order to get a foot in the book publishing door. But honestly- I'd be ecstatic to be published anywhere. I honestly love the idea of writing something that children and parents can both enjoy. I don't care what the "medium" is.
I have come up with a really short and simple poem for the magazine BABYBUG. It's basically a magazine for children from 6 months-2 years. I tested out my poem with my one year old little man and he loved it. Thinking about submitting it. It's super short (they only accept poems that are 8 lines or less). Anyway, I'm also looking at other magazines. It seems to be a wonderful market and I'm excited about it.
Have any of you written for children's magazines? I'd love to hear about it.
On another note, I'm super excited because my blog is receiving more and more hits and I'm pretty positive this is due to verlakay.com and having my blog as part of my siggy. Love that website- because of it, I now have an emerging critique group AND another follower!
My husband has taken my daughter to church this morning and I'm here with my son, who is currently laying down for a nap. We have friends coming for dinner tonight and I need to clean this place up, so no writing for me today. Well, except on here.
I had TWO gigantic turkeys in my garage freezer and I've decided to cook one today and use turkey leftovers for as long as possible. Not sure how much turkey I can take, but we'll see.
Anyway, thinking about adding a poll on here again...not sure what to ask you guys...but keep an eye out!


0 comments:

Post a Comment