Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Rhyming PB's


As promised, I am going to commit today's post to rhyme- hopefully helping some PB writers out there who are struggling with it.

I have been writing rhyme all my life (just for fun), but I had no understanding of the technical aspect of it. I still don't have a firm understanding, if I'm honest. But because of some of the helpful resources that I've listed below, as well as some wonderful God-sent members of my critique group, I have finally gotten enough of a hold on it to finally revise "Sally Circle" and hopefully submit it by the end of the month!

Here are some links that I have found to be OH-SO-HELPFUL, given to me by some amazing followers/friends.


The above link is to a thread started on Verla Kay by Melissa, a member of my critique group. Man, I learned a LOT from this thread!

This is an amazing resource!

(This is a website with a VERY large list of resources that can help).

I'm sure there are a lot more, but I want to encourage everyone to take a look. I swear I thought that as long as my rhyme flowed when I read it, it was okay. Then I discovered the world of un-accented/accented words, etc. and I realized how much more there is to it. When Melissa first tried explaining the "rules," I had absolutely no idea what she was talking about and, if I'm honest, I felt like an idiot. But it just took me some time to get my head around it and now I can say I'm a much better writer after doing my research and really, really trying. Now I feel like my RHYMING PB has a fair shot at getting published!
Thank you to all that have helped me!!!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Yay, Dena! Every bad day soon has an awesomely better day... you were so disappointed last week, but now it seems like things are fitting together, even better than before!

Jonathon Arntson said...

Look, more of my loyal followers are popping over!!

I am actually proud of you for doing this...how's that make you feel?

I am proud like a baby penguin's papa when the penguin learns he can fly.

A flying penguin makes as much sense to me as writing in rhyme, I cannot wait for you to teach us what you learn! Well, the technical stuff, I mean, you have the fun stuff down!

Post a Comment